Christmas is just around the corner! It is time to get your fireplace ready for the much-awaited visit from Santa Claus. Make sure that you have your fireplace and chimney cleaned to avoid getting on Santa’s naughty list. And while you are at it, there are a few other things that you must keep in mind to ensure the safety of your family and your home during the holidays.
Here are a few reminders as to why you need to clean your fireplace before Christmas!
Signs That Your Chimney Needs Cleaning
According to the National Fire Protection Association, the fireplace and chimney should be cleaned and inspected at least once a year. Keeping up with your fireplace maintenance will help your chimney system function efficiently year after year. However, despite all the cleaning, there is still a chance of creosote building up that may result in a fire hazard.
The best way to avoid this is to read the telltale signs beforehand and do the cleaning. Here is when you know you can’t avoid cleaning your fireplace anymore.
- If you can smell the odor of burning wood even when your fireplace isn’t lit.
- When smoke starts flooding your house due to stage three creosote build up.
- When you notice cracks or obstructions in your chimney flue.
- When you face difficulty in getting your fire started or in keeping the fire burning.
- When you see rust on your fireplace damper.
- When you begin noticing chimney remnants at the bottom of your fireplace.
Why You Should Clean Your Fireplace And Chimney
Your fireplace sweeping will do more than just keep Santa’s red suit clean. It will help you identify any emerging issues in your fireplace and keep it functioning efficiently for a long time. Here are a few benefits of having your chimney cleaned!
- It stops soot from building up and improves venting. Soot prevents smoke from leaving the house, which can make you cough and affect your home’s air quality.
- It helps you avoid chimney fires. Creosote, a flammable byproduct of wood burning, can accumulate in your chimney flue and cause fires. Regular cleaning stops creosote buildups.
- Regular checkups prevent severe fireplace damages, as you can identify the problems early on and take the necessary measures to solve them.
How To Prepare Your Chimney For Santa’s Arrival
- Contact professional chimney cleaners to clean out any creosote and soot that might have built up.
- Check the damper for drafts and ensure that it opens and closes smoothly.
- Check the flue for cracks and damages that can affect the airflow.
- Keep flammable items such as clothes and papers away from your fireplace.
- Make sure that you have enough wood for the entire season.
- Keep your chimney properly capped to keep birds and other animals from entering.
- Check the chimney structure and lining for loose bricks, deterioration or missing mortar.
- Make sure to have your fireplace inspected at least once a year. Regular inspections can save you trouble later.
Hire Pros For The Cleaning
It’s not only Santa who needs a clean chimney to enter your house. You and your family also deserve to remain safe and warm too. That’s why you must hire a professional to do the job. The team at A Chimney Expert can clean your fireplace thoroughly and repair any damages it may have.
So, give yourself a Christmas gift this year and hire us to clean your fireplace and chimney today! Mention this blog and the statement “Santa doesn’t like dirty chimneys!” to get $40 off your total inspection and sweep!